Monday, July 5, 2010

Big Volume Week 2010

At the suggestion of the coaches of team EN I made use of the long July 4 weekend to gain a volume “pop” in my training. It was a big week by my standards, at 25 hours total training. I spent 21 of those hours in the saddle. Compare this to my consistent weeks of 12 to 14 hours. Some random thoughts:

• With a dramatic increase in cycling volume I have some issues adapting to life off the bike. Yesterday on a family drive to Hershey Park I caught myself shouting out “car left!” I also keep having dreams of dozing off while in the saddle, startling myself awake.
• Due to my occasional episodes with atrial fibrillation I’ve been afraid of using caffeine or other stimulants as performance supplements. Conversely I’ve been bothered by a tendency to lose mental focus around mile 75 of long bike rides. This weekend I used FRS chews at around the four hour mark. I’m sold. I’ve never been so focused deep into a long ride.
• I fear the heat. I drank eight 20-ounce bottles of fluid today and still didn’t have to pee until I got home. That’s insane. I better plan on two bottles an hour in Louisville. I decided to bag my brick run today out of cautiousness. My power meter read 102 degrees at the end of the ride.
• My tolerance for training load like this has increased dramatically since Ironman #1 in 2007. I suppose it’s due in equal measures to a stronger will to endure the pain and an increase in fitness.
• Bullfrog SPF40 sun block is the best I’ve ever used. The sun and heat were powerful this weekend. I have absolutely zero burn. Considering the amount I sweat and how long I was in the saddle, that’s pretty amazing.

I should be ready to resume training as normal by Thursday. Until then it’ll be a combination of complete rest and recovery workouts.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Dan,

FRS is great stuff... However, I made the mistake of reading the study about how it could actually boost VOMax and I tried taking the dose from that study in the 3 days leading up to one of my marathons. I wouldn't recommend it... I was so wired I was exhausted by the time I got to the starting line! But in moderation, I agree: it rocks!

M

dan kerr said...

Thanks for the heads up Marcus. I'll stick to 2 chews at mile 75! Thinking of weaning myself of caffeine during my race taper so just a little caffeine will make a big difference.