Thursday, April 2, 2009

Elective Heart Burn

I had a good appointment with the EP on Monday. In summary, my ECG looked good and my health is very good. I shared a mini-report of how things have been going over the past 14 months. She asked me to consider, again, having a radiofrequency ablation procedure. See link: http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4682. This article indicates a 90% chance of success. My EP says it’s more like 75% to 80%. The risks are stroke (about 3 in 1,000) or catastrophic failure.

I’ve now lived with atrial fibrillation for 17 months. It isn’t going to permanently go away. Physical fitness is an essential component to my quality of life. It clears my head and makes me a better father, husband, engineer, manager, citizen, etc. I now can’t give my “training” 100% effort. It’s very frustrating. I can accept that I’m getting older. I can accept that I’m not the most gifted of endurance athletes. I struggle mightily to accept the cloud of doubt that heart arrhythmia has cast over my life – especially with a 75% chance of complete cure.

Last year the prospect of a heart procedure took me off guard. I wasn’t ready to deal with that decision. I wasn’t sure I really had a long term issue with my heart. Now I’m more afraid of living with the condition and its effect on my quality of life. Over time, the condition will likely become more dangerous.

The prospect of healing is exciting.

I’m meeting with the surgeon later this month. I’ll make a decision sometime after that. Know anyone who's had an ablation? Please let me know. Peace…

No comments: