Saturday, April 18, 2009

12 Weeks Out

If I want to have a good race on July 12 in Providence, it’s really time for me to knuckle down and take my training a little more seriously. My 12-week training plan kicks off Monday morning. That said I plan to remain committed to my 2009 mantra of “triathlon is supposed to be fun.” There’s simply no need to pile drive myself!

Despite feeling an absence of training discipline, a glance at the ’09 scoreboard leaves me feeling optimistic - one PR and one epic week already in the bag. Maybe I needed to step back a bit. I did, after all, end up peaking way too early last year. I am enjoying myself this year, for sure!

This week was supposed to be one of recovery but I managed to cook myself mentally. Playing for Easter services last weekend wasn’t exactly restful. I headed into a difficult week – one that held the promise of two evening board presentations – already tired. Then my mom found herself in the hospital, again, and my fabulous don’t-worry-about-it-I-got-mom-covered sister took a golfing vacation to Myrtle Beach. So I got a taste of being primary caregiver this week, too. My eyes are burning! There’s a lot more activity in the works this weekend between Kyle’s season-opening baseball tourney and our Tri for Life Sunday morning. I’ll need to sneak a nap and long bike ride sometime this weekend to keep mentally stable. :-)

It’s all good. A little insane, but good.

No comments: