Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Time to Ride!

I wasn't nearly as disciplined on the bike this off season as I was on the run. Seeing some nice running gains I decided it's time to get in my first big biking week. The numbers aren't huge like the Lake Placid camps, but I'm sure big enough to give me a significant boost in aerobic fitness and functional power. Here's a snapshot of my week:

Saturday: 40+ miles with Joe R (who's training for Ironman). It was supposed to be an easy aerobic prologue. It turned into a Joe and Dan ego-fest! Why does that always seem to happen? :-) Something like 2,500 feet of climbing as Joe & I took turns pounding each other.

Sunday: 65-ish miles with Joe. He started out fast again! I stayed with him for the first 25 miles and then slowly started to melt down. I limped in the last 10 miles. 4,000 feet of climbing.

Monday: 50 miles with Joe. Punishing head and cross winds, but what a difference a day makes! I convinced Joe to ride slowly for the first 25, then we tempo'd it home. How could I be so strong after bonking the previous day? Funny thing about these epic weeks...

Tuesday: Drive to work in AM and work 'til 3:30, then bike it home! 42 very easy recovery miles. Ahhhhh!!!

Tomorrow I'll end the week with my commute to work in the AM. Hope to split it as 21 miles easy & 21 tempo.

So I'll get something like 15 hours of cycling in 5 days. That after riding an hour or so per week for 3 weeks! Of course I'm a little sore and tired, but I had enough reserve fitness to pull this off.

Annual visit to the electro-physiologist next Monday... Keeping fingers crossed!

No comments: