Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Visit with the Doc

I met with Dr. Pulliam today - the cardiologist that would conduct the radiofrequency ablation procedure if I decide to have it done. I really liked him. He's a direct communicator that's able to pull it off without being rude. He has a sense of humor. He listened to me. He explained EXACTLY what he would be doing, what the risks are, what the chances of success are, etc, etc. His track record is great. I suppose if I'm ever going to have this thing done, he's the guy I would want to do it.

That said, I'm no closer to making a decision. We decided to wait until the fall.

Lots to consider:

PROS: (1) The younger you are, the greater the chance of success. He said my chance for a "once and done" success is greater than 80%. (2) Recovery is amazingly fast... like a couple of days fast. (3) He's certain we could get the insurance company to cover the procedure... Good thing, because it costs about the same as a new BMW 500 series.

CONS: (1) 80% chance of success means 20% chance of failure (yes, thinking like the engineer that I am). (2) A 1% to 2% chance of complications, which is roughly equivalent to the same odds as open heart surgery. (3) The potential complications are really, really bad - death from rupturing my heart or esophagus (sp?), or stroke from blood clotting. (4) I'd be on blood thinners for 6 months post surgery.

That's the facts. Wishing for some great epiphany, but not really hopeful the decision will come that easily!

No comments: