Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Field of Dreams

You've seen the movie "Field of Dreams?" Set to the backdrop of baseball, a number of men are given a chance to live out something they've only dreamed of in the past. For one reason or another wishes are granted. Yeah, a little corny for sure, but nevertheless an American classic.

An interesting twist is that the wishes aren't always granted exactly as they've been dreamed. Take Moonlight Graham for instance - A beloved small town doctor that's brought back from the dead and granted his wish to get an official "at bat" in the majors. His exact dream? To stretch a gap shot double into a triple. In "reality" he produces a sacrifice fly before he's sucked from the field to save the life of the main character's daughter. Not very deep, eh?

I had a wish granted last evening - one that I suspected would never be fulfilled. My exact dream? To coach both of my sons in key positions on the same baseball team. I used to have this vision of paying a mound visit to Colin as Kyle, his battery mate, comes out to share in our game changing strategy.

It really played out like this. Kyle fell at a hiking camp and headed for the doctor's office late in the afternoon. As he was getting six stitches to repair his shin, Colin and I drove to Columbia for the final game of his season. As 6:00 approached, it became clear that we were only going to have eight players - a forfeit. I called Lori and asked her to put a uniform on Kyle if he was up for playing. Our opponent graciously allowed us to start the game with 8 players as Kyle and Lori hopped in the Batmobile for Columbia.

One inning later Kyle and his freshly stitched leg arrived and took left field. Colin was on the mound. Kyle was inserted into the #9 hole and led off the top of the third inning. On deck? Our lead-off hitter - Colin. The Kerr boys hitting back-to-back. Pretty cool. I really enjoyed myself. They looked awfully good out there!

Remarkably, I was granted this wish in what will likely be the final game of Colin's baseball "career." Though a good and highly motivated athlete, he doesn't share my passion for baseball. Those boys have no idea how much fun I had last night. By the way, we got our butts kicked.

Life is good.

No comments: