Friday, June 6, 2008

Day 4 Curveball

We headed out for a "friendly 106 mile ride today." Words that just shouldn't be used in the same sentence! "Friendly" because we were supposed to work as a group, allowing for some long hours of spinning while folks took turns working the front.

About 1,000 meters into our epic ride, the clouds let loose a solid downpour that soaked us all through. We split apart, but tried to keep together in small groups. Not an easy feat for a bunch of individually-minded triathletes!

The roads had a lot of debris washed out from the hard rain. Around mile 46 I ran over a rusty nail that punctured my tire, tube, and aluminum rim. I was done for the day, but not injured. Incredibly, Patrick was driving sag just about a mile away when this happened, so I was happily within the confines of an automobile within 5 minutes of the mishap.

Tomorrow's supposed to be another 100+ miler. I'm glad that I brought a second bike. Otherwise I'd be dealing with repair shops instead of riding.

I'll eventually post some pictures. You can get official updates from camp central here: http://www.endurancenation.us/blog/

No comments: