Friday, December 5, 2008

Tough Love thru E-mail

My "in box" is completely out of control. Last weekend I cut the in-box count by 300+ e-mails and I still can't dig my way out. That only scratched the surface. For the past month or so I've been dishing out some tough love and only reading those e-mails that seem truly urgent or important. Everything else has gone unread. If you are one of those unread affected writers just know that, yes, I still love you. I AM JUST LOSING MY FREAKING MIND with these darn e-mails!!! Ahhhhh (eyes dancing, fingers quaking)!!!!!

I've been looking at my own sending patterns just to make sure I'm practicing what I preach. This week I sent 74 e-mails. Of those, only 16 were initiated by me with new content. My goal next week is to improve that ratio of new content versus perpetuating discussions via Outlook. There are just much better, old fashioned ways to communicate! (Sometimes we don't need to communicate at all - you know, the FYI e-mails and cc: deals)

Just doing my part to stamp out adult ADD.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great idea... I read somewhere that the ratio of emails w/ RE: in your sent bin compared to those without is a good indicator of how proactive you are at work.

Then again, it could mean you ignore requests... Either way, it's good food for thought.