Saturday, December 20, 2008

Craving a Silent Night

My little experiment netted a little over 20 less e-mails per week. The past two weeks I’ve sent 51 new e-mails as opposed to my previous 70+ weekly average. This was a really healthy exercise that I hope to sustain over the long haul. If you figure that an e-mail consumes 3-minutes of time on average, I’ve either gained an hour per week or used that time communicating with colleagues in a more effective way. Win – win.

This time of year is pretty tough on me. My quiet alone time almost completely evaporates among the cacophony of parties, sporting events, travel time, & church activities. Work doesn’t slow down for the holidays anymore (I’m thankful for this given our economic crisis). Added to the noise this year is the ongoing renovation to our home. We’ve been living in a partial, dusty home for quite a while now. Introverts need their sleep & quiet brain recharging time! Two moments in particular sustained my week – One evening Kyle & I shared a couch and read in a quiet room for an hour. Last night we sat and watched a movie in a quiet room. No channel surfing, no kids arguing, no telephone rings, no food / candy negotiations. Just quiet – family – time.

Planning the upcoming triathlon season has also been therapeutic. I’m thinking of turning exercise ascetic for some time this year - Just me, my bike, some books, and a bed.

My body seems to be adapting to the new off season training stimulus. No arrhythmia issues for a couple of weeks despite pushing hard on several workouts. This makes me very happy! Last year at this time was one of the more stressful periods of my life as we were trying to diagnose my condition.

I wish you a peaceful Christmas. Count your blessings. Reflect on the past year. Listen to your calling and plan accordingly.

No comments: