Sunday, November 30, 2008

Change of Seasons addendum #1

Friday evening I forgot to mention the importance of nutritional discipline, and how it basically tends to disappear once the triathlon season ends. This fall I started to fall off the caffeine abstinence wagon (I never fully abstained, but managed to reduce daily intake to somewhere around 40 to 50 mg). So yesterday, in my predictable overly reactive fashion, I COMPLETELY abstained from caffeine. I felt fine until I woke this morning with a raging migraine headache! A nice breakfast, a couple Advil and a stiff cup of coffee later and I am now back among the living. Obviously pumping my body full of stimulant has adverse effects on heart rate. Caffeine addiction is practically celebrated among endurance athletes. Not good...

So yesterday morning I said yes to a game of pick-up football. With the stop & go sprinting involved in that sport, I had legitimate fear of bad Afib onset. Early in the game my heart was fluttering a bit, but I was able to keep a quiet mind (also a factor in preventing onset) and prevented my heart from racing. As my body adapted to the game, all symptoms completely disappeared. My old fast twitch gifts kicked into gear and I generally had a blast. So what happened? How could I possibly completely redline and avoid Afib symptoms? I HAVE NO IDEA! It is simply a mystery. Somehow my cardiovascular system found a state of equilibrium as it was simultaneously being thrashed.

So what will happen today as I complete my run workout? My main set will be 2 x 2.5 miles at a zone 3 pace (of 5 training zones). My prediction... If able to keep a quiet mind I'll complete the main set without having to shut it down. If not, I'll be walking. We'll see what happens!

No comments: