Sunday, August 8, 2010

Race Rehearsal Redux

Had my final epic workout of the training cycle yesterday, with a six hour bike ride followed by a one hour run. The goal of the workout is to do everything exactly as you plan to do on race day; sleep, eat, dress, pace, etc.

Overall I had a very good day. I rode 114 miles in 6:04 then hopped off the bike and trotted 10k at a 9:00/mile pace. At 123 BPM average on the bike, my heart rate indicated that my aerobic fitness is as good or better than it’s ever been. It was the “easiest” 100+ mile ride I’ve ever done (Oxymoron, I know. That's how warped my mind has become). Given that I averaged a shade under 19 miles per hour, I’m very pleased with my fitness.

The most frequently asked question I get is, “What do you eat?” Here’s how my day played out:

Breakfast at 4:30 am (roughly 550 Calories)
• Odwalla super protein shake
• Banana
• 20 oz. water
• 12 oz. Coffee
Pre-ride at 7:00 am (110 Calories)
• Power gel with water
During the ride (1775 Calories = 296/hour)
• 10 scoops Infinit Ironman formula sports drink
• 1 Clif bar
• 1 Power gel
• 2 x FRS chews at mile 70
• 8 x 20 oz. Bottles of water
During the run
• 1 scoop Infinit marathon formula sports drink (130 Calories)

Most are surprised at the low Calorie count, but it’s important to keep from overloading your digestive tract. My goal is 300 Cal/hour on the bike and 150 - 175/hour on the run. Your blood is needed in places other than your stomach! Besides, it’s impossible to replace all of the Calories as you’re burning them anyway. I burned in excess of 4,000 Calories yesterday.

Where my nutrition plan fell short is in sodium replacement. That was made clear by how “crampy” my legs got last evening. On the bike I consumed 388 mg sodium/hour. On the run I was only at 175 mg/hour. I should be over 400 mg per hour all day, with a little more on the run since my sweat rate will be higher. I’ll supplement with electrolyte pills such as Hammer Endurolytes.

No comments: