Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Training in Blackwater

During our recent heat wave I snuck away from work for two days to do Eagleman 70.3 on course training. I enjoy riding on Maryland's eastern shore. The roads have huge shoulders and the natives are generally bike friendly. I get a sense of escape while riding through the Blackwater Wildlife Refuge. The flat, windy marsh land, with its unique and plentiful wildlife, feels like another world.

Day 1 featured a 91 miler, during which I snapped some photos. Day 2 was a race rehearsal consisting of a 56 mile course ride followed by a one hour run. It was good to get on course training in that heat. I was pretty wilted after day 2.

Race day is Sunday, June 13. I'm planning on setting a new PR for the 70.3 distance. My training metrics are on target. To hit my goal I'll have to stay consistent & healthy over these final four weeks, and then execute like a champ on race day.



No comments: