Friday, August 12, 2011

Eve of the Nightmare


It looks like some stormy weather for the Lancaster Nightmare Ride tomorrow. My friend Shane and I will be launching from the Donegal Middle School at 6:00 am. How long will the 177 miles take us? I really don’t know.

I rode fairly steadily on a reconnaissance ride through the first 50 miles of the course several weeks ago and still only averaged a measly 14 miles per hour. The early terrain is very difficult and a key to not imploding later in the day will be to hold back as much as possible in the hilly first 50. I’ve never gone over 125 miles, either, so who knows what’ll happen when I get 8+ hours into the day? My longest ride so far this year was slightly over 7 hours. It should be interesting. I’m pushing into new and unknown territory.

That said we fully intend on finishing in daylight.

I finally read Chris McDougall’s ‘Born to Run’ this week while at the beach. I can’t think of a better book to read in the days leading up to an ultra endurance event. Like the ultra runners in that book, I intend to enjoy the ride tomorrow: one mile at a time.

I will be extending the Bridge of Hope campaign until at least the end of August. Thanks to all at McClure Company for pledging support! I’ll be opening pledging opportunities to a broader group this weekend. My recent vacationing and subsequent impacts on work load have prevented a more thorough pre-event campaign. Stay tuned!

2 comments:

LyssAdamsPSU said...

Good luck Dan! :) Hope you have a great ride!

dan kerr said...

Thanks, Alyssa! See you next week.