Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Training Part 2

Predictably the endorphin euphoria wore off on day #3. Joe and I covered 54 miles on our road bikes through many of the climbs in Manor Township. We climbed pretty hard, which is a necessity when the grades start exceeding 8%. I'd like to see Joe's power data as I have none. We pushed way over power threshold several times and managed to torch ourselves. Joe started to pull away from me later in the ride and would graciously slow down on the downhills. He's going to be ready for Ironman, for sure.

When I got home it was family time to eat, so I bagged my brick run. From a human perspective it was the right decision... from a training perspective it was a mistake. I tried to run later in the day and my muscles just said, "NO!" I shuffled around the neighborhood for 1/2 hour and called it a day.

Joe wanted to start at 5:30 am on Memorial Day. I had no intention of opening my eyes before 7:00, so we decided to go solo. I rolled out the door at 9:15 on my tri bike. My goal was to ride 50 miles at my half Ironman target wattages knowing that, if I could hit them while extremely fatigued, race day would be an exercise in holding back. I did great for about 40 miles... then started falling off the tracks. At first my attention span started to evaporate. This was followed by pain in my right calf. When I hopped off the bike for a short run, my calf started to rebel. I stopped and walked back into the kitchen... End of training block!

There's no way I'm going to try to push through that pain. Injury is the worst case scenario. Instead of doing my long run this morning, I did an easy swim and went back to work.

It was a great session... 254 miles in 4 days. I had hoped to compile more swimming and running hours but can't say I have any regrets. The week will surely prove a success. I'll know for sure in a couple weeks when I'm ready to test functional threshold power again.

For elites / pro / unmarried & uncommitted athletes, my four days were hardly "epic." (As an example, I've read of one particular camp that includes 14 century rides in 15 days... Heck, why don't they just ride the Tour de France instead? Not my league!) But, for me, much more training would have served only to pile drive my health and well being.

Training at home was a positive experience. I slept more, ate better, and didn't miss my family & friends so much. I do wish more folks would have joined us. It got a little lonely out there. There was also the disadvantage of feeling guilty for not getting more done around the house. I thank my family for being so incredibly supportive.

My season continues to trend in the right direction... A half marathon PR, a solid middle distance triathlon, and two big cycling weeks. Six weeks to go!

No comments: