Monday, September 22, 2008

The Mental Game

Five days and counting. It's time for some serious introspection. Once thing I've learned the hard way - If I take myself too seriously, it'll be a very, very long day. I've named my fears... literally. You can go ahead a roll your eyes, but I'm telling you this works and will keep me focused.

The choppy waters of the Chesapeake are "Chuck."
The jellyfish are "Barbara and Margaret."
Inclement conditions are "Mother."
Involuntary adrenaline flow is "Andy."

Of my heart rhythm and asthma issues?

My heart is "Steady Eddie."
My lungs are "Larry and Daryl."

I have two allies on race day, named for my belief in my Endurance Nation training plan...

My extreme fitness is simply "the EN-gine." It won't let me down.
My personal race director is "EN-rique." He is the collective wisdom of the EN forum. He will accompany me on race day, interpreting all that unfolds, keeping me focused on my race plan, and smack me around when I deviate from plan.

I have several key phrases, many of them stolen from last year:

Steady is smooth. Smooth is fast.
One day.
Detach.
No highs - No lows.
Focus.
Smile.

And finally, my chosen mantra...

Hope is stronger than fear. Confidence trumps indecision.

1 comment:

Endurance Nation said...

Dan...you are ready. Can't wait to race alongside you in spirit. May your race day bring you all you want and expect...and more...and may you rise to every challenge!