Thursday, August 21, 2008

Getting Close to Race Day


If anyone is still reading my infrequently updated blog, the above photo was taken at our surprise birthday party for Lori. That’s Carl with us. His skill at deep tissue massage is largely responsible for keeping us injury free through heavy training. He’s a great guy. Drop me a line if you’d like his contact information.

We returned from Colorado and I started to get sweaty palms and quaking knees when I realized my “A” race was less than seven weeks away. I wrote these notes to reaffirm that I’ve done everything in my ability to ensure being properly prepared.

What have I done differently this year as a step toward improvement?
• Cut out weight training entirely & reduced core training to maintenance only.
• Reduced swim training to make room for bike and run training.
• Long run Weds or Thurs versus Sunday.
• Two long rides on weekends.
• More intensity on rides – more focus on session goals than just getting time in.
• More focus on swimming form.
• Overall bike training volume significantly higher.
• Made adjustments to tri bike fit. Increased drop by 3 cm. Changed hydration system.
• Spent more time learning functionality of SRM.
• Changed run training from HR-based to pace-based.
• Almost eliminated caffeine from diet.

What I plan to do differently on race day:
• Ride closer to my “ceiling.”
• Do not lose focus on bike beyond 75 mile mark.
• More liquid calories.
• Less time in special needs.
• Less time in transition.
• Time “planned” walking through aid stations.
• Run EN pacing goals established by VDOT (Daniels method).

To hit these race goals, I need to do the following in my remaining training:
• Pre-plan and then crush my race rehearsals – pacing, nutrition, focus.
• Experiment with caffeine intake deep into bike rides.
• Pre-plan special needs and transitions. Become more comfortable in ability to “live off the course.”
• Practice walking intervals in my long run training.

No comments: